Thursday, March 03, 2005

Happy Day: Sad Day

Thursday has now come and almost gone, and I've yet again come to some conclusions. A day at York University is either a hell or heaven depending on various factors.

Perhaps I should clarify, York University does exemplify when hell freezes over. Damn drafts between those building on the long march out to Stong College!Anyhow, Thursday is usually the day that I most look forward to, as I have a third year Post-Modernism course directed by Bruce Powe (who I might add, on a congratulatory note, is officially becoming a Professor in July). Today, we were looking at the notion of Post-Modernism, and particularly J.G. Ballard's Crash. Somehow the consensus was that Crash is a self-reflexive novel, because the melding of man and machine can sometimes produce its own nightmares. This book demonstrates that living in reality (i.e. Vaughan's actual car-crash death) is more terrifying than all the other simulations. Living in the fantasy world created by our metallic/technological extensions (automobiles, computers, etc.) is profoundly easier. In that simulacrum, we can all mimic our media. However, once forced to fend for ourselves, it is easy to be quickly swallowed by the world.
Now, to explain my point. This three-hour seminar session has been one of the best classes I've taken (save for Jer's Shakespeare Tutorial last year) because Bruce manages to insert his own essence and vitality to each work we study. Next week, Blood Meridian is our focus.

Continuing on with the better part of the day. Lo and behold, I finally have one of my poems "published," well that is, if Excalibur counts as a newspaper. There was an open invitation to submit work for this month's "Feminist Supplement" (I can already see Jer recoiling in horror), and I actually wrote a short poem for it. Never have I been a Feminist, and nor will I ever become one. My poem is featured on page 17 and is entitled "Women's liberation." In my opinion, it is not worth the paper it is printed on. My proof of this fact, people have told me that it was good. If you do read it, please keep that in mind. However, I'm dubious if I even want to post it on my blog. At any rate, I believe I should have submitted another poem. Too late for that now, I will post it now for any critiques.

Women's Liberation

We have all heard the stories, the songs,
Fighting against, aggression, repression, subjection,
Faced by the minorities of society.
So why are we, women, the majority,
Bruised, abused and misused?

There have been those, brave enough to fight,
But so many more wait in silent fear,
Fear of what?
Rejection, depression and self-deprivation?

We are not any less because we are women.
No matter the obstacles, we are brave.
The only ones to fight for us, are us.
So band together, my sisters, mothers, and friends.

Fight for unity, fight for equality,
Fight for our common liberation!

Addendum: If I had to do it all over again, I would have removed the last six lines of the poem.

Finally, I went to the pharmacy to fill the prescription I received from my doctor yesterday. I sprained my wrist last week, and the drugs are supposed to help the pain, which of course they aren't accomplishing. So this means I cannot do any handwriting for the next week. Typing itself is a strain, but if I can't write by hand, I have to be able to do something. Anyhow, another early day for me tomorrow, so I will post again tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Davyth said...

I've got my signed copy to keep for when you become a famous poet...

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home