Monday, December 13, 2004

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Here I am again, bickering about another fun day in the time around Christmas. I have never celebrated Christmas, so perhaps this is why I don't have any happy memories about it. But I do have to admit, there seems to be something that gets to me every year around the Christmas season. I think it is the Christmas-musak which ininundates every mall and store that you enter. I know that these songs are supposed to put you in the mood of Christmas, but all they seem to do is put everyone in the mood of buying.
At the Christmas Banquet I attended a few days ago, someone asked what the true spirit of Christmas was. I jokingly remarked that it was a Visa or Mastercard, whichever one you happen to prefer. So what do you know, today, the first day I don't have to attend classes, I was assigned to bake cookies, lots of cookies. In other words Sugar (Holiday/Christmas) cookies. In the process of creating around 100 cookies, the first of the lot, that damn Christmas music which I had been trying to avoid, struck again.
Apparently my mind clicks into Christmas Songs when I start to make cookies in December. It seems to be a one-time-a-year phenomenon. I was singing and decorating cookies, about 10 of which I ate, only to learn that this is only the beginning. Seems as though this will be my task for most of the week. Well, Here comes Santa Claus...

1 Comments:

Blogger Davyth said...

X-mas muzak seems to embody the essence of capitalism--meaningless, inanimate objects fetishised with false value.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home