Thursday, January 06, 2005

HOWLing away the night

Well, here's my first crack at this being somewhat of a literary blog site (although I can't promise that everything up here will be that). I'm in a rather good mood, considering its almost midnight and I'm already done my essay for my post-modernism course.
I am rather intriguied by this course, and of course, I love the reading list. The current reading, for tonight is Howl by Allen Ginsberg. I have heard a lot about it before, but of course, never really had the time to pick it up on my own. (Perhaps this is why I take courses like this, to get an excuse to read some more provocative texts?) Ah well, back to my reflections. I'm about halfway through and somewhat mystified by what I'm reading. I don't find it any stranger than the things we've read, after Rimbaud, this is child's play. However, I have to say, Ginsberg reminds me of Rimbaud, or perhaps I just need some more sleep.
I've come across the word Moloch, and it seemed to be a familiar term, so I looked it up to refresh my memory. As I figured, it comes from the Bible, and refers to a cult that sacrificed children as part of its ceremonies. Ginsberg spends almost two pages bemoaning the curse of Moloch. Here are some excerpts to pique your interest...

What sphinx of cement and aluminum bashed open
their skulls and ate up their brains and imagi-
nation?

Moloch! Solitude! Filth! Ugliness! Ashcans and unob-
tainable dollars! Children screaming under the
stairways! Boys sobbing in armies! Old men
weeping in the parks!

I don't know what you'll think of this, perhaps if you've read it, you'll have some commentary, but I personally found it all rather fascinating. If you haven't read this piece of literary genius, I suggest that you do as soon as possible, although I suggest Rimbaud's A Season in Hell as a preliminary reading to get a feel for this style.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home