Monday, January 31, 2005

Monday, Monday

Another Monday means another week at school, and another week closer to my reading week. I don't know if I'm anticipating this, or dreading it more. Reading week is supposed to herald a week of hard work and commitment on my part, but I know that never really happens. Of course, I start out with the grand plans and ambitions that I will be productive, but of course, that never actually reaches fruition. This coming reading week, which will begin on the 14th, will pose some time for me to reflect and meditate on the rest of the school year, and also get to doing something that I haven't had time to do lately: reading for fun.

Some people will think this out of character for me, because those who know me, know that over the years I've always been seen with a book in hand. Perhaps these days I'm getting too caught up in the whirlwind of life to realize what I'm missing. I used to enjoy reading some years ago, but lately I have been far too stressed out with some of the finer details in my life. It's time to hit the books again, I have about 20 or so on the backburner, which should come out of hiding and be read. The first book I plan to tackle is: The DaVinci Code. Now, I know you are aware that I don't usually read mainstream books, but this one is just pissing me off these days. Everywhere I go, people are talking about it. I cannot say that this surprises me, the status quo seems fixated on books like this. Leave it to people like Oprah to make classics such as Anna Karenina a mainstream best-seller. I don't know what my real opinion about this is, but I wonder sometimes, what would happen if someone other than a celebrity endorsed books? Would they still sell like hotcakes? Probably not, but maybe people would learn a few things.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I stumbled upon your blog entry about reading and I completely agree with you! I tend to boycott books that either appear on the bestseller's list or, heaven forbid, Oprah's book club. Sadly though, I too felt "mandated" by popular culture to actually read "The DaVinci Code" (and I felt even more guilty about realizing I enjoyed the book). Anyway, best wishes on your reading week.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Lisa, bestsellers just mean one thing: they make money, it doesn't mean they are enriching.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Additionally, I read these type of books so I can effectively criticize them, without sounding uninformed.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home