Sunday, February 20, 2005

Saturday Night At the Movies

Tonight, Saturday night, after spending the afternoon at church, my mother and I sat down to a night of movie watching. We have made it almost a routine now, watching movies on TVO on Saturday nights.

The features tonight were The Third Man and Our Man in Havana. Both of these were originally written by Graham Greene and the screenplays were done execeptionally well.

I suppose I have nothing to complain about tonight, so I'll leave it at that. Goodnight all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

The Third Man is a terrific movie, one that belongs in every cinephile's private collection. Our Man In Havana isn't horrible, but it has a scene I have imitated in real life, the game of draughts. I'm proud to say I won.

Read Greene, though, and read him well: one of the best novelists of the 20th century, and the (many) films of his books seldom do him justice. Aside from The Third Man, the only other comparably good Greene treatment is the film The Fallen Idol, a very good rendering of the story "The Basement Room." Hollywood never understood Greene, and never really wanted to; even recent, and earnest, films like The End of the Affair and The Quiet American have missed the mark rather broadly. Shame, that.

You've, alas, just given me an idea for another half-course to offer....

1:40 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Greene is somewhere on my long list of yet to tackle authors. I hope to get to him sometime in the next decade.

I'll play a game of checkers against you like that any day. LOL

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home