Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The Medium is the Massage

Yes, as you can surely tell, I have been reading Marshall McLuhan today. The particular book: War and Peace in the Global Village. This is in preparation for tomorrow's exam for Post-Modernism. While re-reading the book, I stumbled across a key quotation, which I found particularly useful.

Literate man easily imagines that there is a direct correspondence between the input and the experience. He lives in a world of correspondences and matchings and repetitions which he calls rationality and science. (141)

I found this quotation to be quite funny, yet true. I feel it can be perfectly applied to many University students who believe minimum effort will attain a diploma. In that regard, if we pay thousands of dollars to attend post-secondary institutes, shouldn't we all be achieving an A+ standing? Sometimes I think that is what people expect when they make inane and outrageous statements. To all the professors and teaching assistants who have to deal with students as such, I raise a toast to you. You truly deserve our respect and admiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home